The Chicago Climate Change & Culture Institute is a 3 week intensive study led by visiting faculty from Rice University, Dominic Boyer and Cymene Howe, Professors of Anthropology and Founders of the Center for Energy and Environmental Research in the Human Sciences.
JULY 9 -JULY 27, 2018
Climate change is arguably the greatest environmental, political and cultural challenge of our times. We are already beginning to feel its impacts in changing weather patterns and rising temperatures. In the years to come, earth scientists tell us that climate change will impact every human being on the planet. We need to become informed and engaged about what awaits us and what we can do to avoid worst-case scenarios. This 3-week intensive course of study focuses on three key questions: Why did climate change happen? How is it impacting different communities across the world? What can be done to prepare the world for a more environmentally secure future? The 4CI program features lectures by leading experts on climate change from the social sciences, earth sciences, humanities, art and architecture. Seminar discussions and site visits to a variety of local initiatives working toward clean energy and sustainability goals round out the program. 4CI will give you answers you want about climate change and the tools you need to start making a positive difference, whether that is on your campus, in your community or at your workplace. The program leverages the intellectual resources of one of the world’s most prestigious research universities and will acquaint you with a city that proudly stands on the cutting edge of sustainable urbanism.
Each week features a different theme as follows:
Week one will examine why climate change occurred, week two will look at the cultural and political impacts of climate change, and week three offers a view to the future of climate change and what we can do about it.
- Eligibility: Current student at another college or university; recent high school graduate; or returning student.
- University housing available.
- International students welcome.
- Students enrolled in this program will take both sections.
- Applications accepted beginning early December.
- Admissions: the Priority application deadline is February 15. Students who apply by the Priority application deadline will have their $50 application fee waived. Any applications received after the Priority deadline will be admitted using rolling admission and will require a $50 application fee. Current University of Chicago students do not have to pay an application fee. Applications will be accepted until all spots are filled, except for Chicago in Beijing (CIB) applicants, the application deadline is March 15, 2018.
- International students who will require a visa to attend, applications will be considered no later than April 2 in order to allow enough time to complete the visa application process.
- Students who wish to live on campus, must apply before May 1, 2018. Late applications will be accepted as space permits. Students who do not require on-campus housing may apply up to one week before classes start. Exceptions for Chicago in Beijing (CIB) applicants, the application deadline is March 15, 2018; and Urban Studies applicants, the application deadline is May 30, 2018.
More details here: https://summer.uchicago.edu/programs/chicago-climate-change-culture-institute-4ci